My passion in design is seeking to bridge a gap in a social problem and solve it. Influenced by lean-start up methodology and design-led principles, my solutions strives to be customer focused.
A solution from me can be a narrative of the customer’s experience through storytelling and animation, print publication and editorials, graphic illustrations or using User Experience/User Interface principles for a digital solution.
Ultimately, I thrive to help people grow and strengthen their community profiles by visualising their needs and wants on the most appropriate medium to deliver the outcome.
Communication Designer, MISTD
- Jul 2017 – Present, Innovation Designer – Australian Unity
Participate and assist in Innovation and, Group Customer and Digital focus initiatives.
Test concepts across digital and print platforms using lean start-up methodologies, design-led, UX and UI principles.
- Jan 2016 – Jun 2017, Industry Placement Student: Communication Designer – Australian Unity
Attend training on innovation philosophy, processes and best practice creative tools.
Experiment concepts using lean start up methodologies.
Help drive, provide support & knowledge to the other team members and innovation projects across the Healthcare business.
Help build excitement and commitment for innovation within Healthcare business.
- Jan 2013 – Present, Freelance Communication Designer – darrenngui.com.au
- Execute solutions to deliver an outcome on clarity of thoughts and information provided by client.
- Technical support for all website hosting and development, email accounts for clients.
Delivered creative outcomes to meet unmet needs through print and digital collaterals.
- April 2010 – Jul 2015, Musician for School Production – St Joseph’s College
Pianist for St Joseph’s College school production
2010 > The Jungle Book
2011 > Aladdin
2012 > Paint your Wagon
2013 > Bugsy Malore
2014 > Little Shop of Horrors
2015 > Seussical the Musical (School 50th Anniversary)
- April – May 2014, Graphic Designer – Mustang Motorsport
Design 50th Anniversary Brochure and T-Shirt Design. Updating website and online store.
- 2017 – Present, Communication Designer – MMM Australia
- 2017 – Present, Graphic Designer – The Church at 1330
- Jan 2016 – Dec 2017 – Website Administrator – The Boys’ Brigade Victoria
- 2014 – Present, Media Designer – The Boys’ Brigade 33rd Vic Boronia
For a list of Darren’s experiences, you can be read it at Darren’s LinkedIn profile. Click the link below.
- 2013 – 2016
Bachelor of Design (Communication) (Honours), Swinburne University of Technology
Victorian Certificate of Education, St Joseph’s College, Ferntree Gully
- July 2016
Inventium Customer-Driven Innovation Program Inventium, License, Accredible-10251606
- Adobe CC Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Lightroom, After Effects, Premiere Pro, Audition)
- WordPress, Webflow, SquareSpace
- Sketch Digital
- Invision, Protopie
- Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Publisher, InfoPath, SharePoint)
- Google Analytics, Google Adwords
- FaceBook Ad Management, Mail Chimp
- SalesForce Einstein ChatBot, Google Dialogflow, Microsoft Azure
- 2016 – Present
Member of International Society of Typographic Designers (MISTD)
- 2015 – 2016
Member of Australian Graphic Design Association (AGDA)
Awards & Achievements
Awarded 1st place in CareHack, representing Australian Unity at Flinders University Hackerton, Adelaide.
Awarded a Commendation Victoria Tasmania Graduate of the Year, Visual Communication Design Award by Design Institue of Australia (DIA)
Awarded a Merit in International Society of Typographic Designers (ISTD) Visualising Music.
Australian Defence Force 2012 Long Tan Leadership and Teamwork Award.